So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Friday, December 09, 2005

The land of no signs

Was meant to go for hike today but instead spent most of it sunbathing! Now, that obviously will come as no surprise to those of you who know and love me, but given my recent declaration that I am to become a serious hiker, I should explain.

So yesterday went to the tourist info where a nice man told me I could catch the boat to this penninsula and then there was a lovely 4 hour walk (there and back) to a lake, coincidentally the lake we failed to find yesterday on the drive. So off i set this morning at the very civilised time of 11am (they cater here for v rich people who obviously dont like mornings and not hardy backpackers who always seem to have to start activities at 6am for reasons i have never understood) and arrived at the required spot 30mins later.

Now as this is the land of no signs, it was impossible to figure out where i was meant to go (the lake didnt even figure on the rudimentary map on arrival meant to demonstrate all the possible routes) so into the nearby cafe i went to ellict instructions. To be met by laughter. Turns out what the nice little man had failed to tell me was that the path was flooded with 1m of water. Grrr.

However, luckily it has been a lovely day and there are some v handy beaches on this penninsular lapped by lake waters, so spent my time reading a spanish glamour i had nicked (and to be replaced) from the hostal. Bliss. Then, to attone for not doing my hike, i went on the short stroll around the area to see cypress trees and a waterfall...all very pleasant.

Now back in town and trying to figure out whats going on. They are setting up for some kind of concert and there is a significant increase in the number of alternative looking people which doesnt bode well in a town renown for being posh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home