So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Its snowing!!!!!

But before i talk about the horror that is Barilloche weather, let me update you on Mendoza

Basically Mendoza was like a little bit of heaven. I was staying at an amazing hostel with some really cool people. The atmosphere was really nice, laid back but funky, I went to Spanish school for a week so i felt like I was doing something useful, and when I wasnt sitting in little cafes or at spanish, I was lying by the pool getting my tan back up to post cuba levels! Hurrah. All in all a very nice spot to spend a few days (well, 12 in the end!) Did manage to do something vaguely touristy....went on a trip to Alta Montana which was hilariously bad. Didnt help that we only got to bed at 5.30, so getting out of bed again for a 7.30 start was not nice.....thus I missed most of the lovely scenery for half the journey as I was asleep. We then spent the day being herded on and off the mini bus at such glorious sites as a v old stone bridge (that as far as i could tell didnt actually go all the way over the river), a ski resort sans snow (where we dutifully took the ski lift up to look at the view, only to find the really pretty mountain obscured by a rather ugly one) and a bridge made out of yellow sediment residue thing (otherwise known as punte del inca for unknow reasons). luckily I was with Lucy and Mel who made the trip fun, but other than that it was a rather uninteresting trip! Did get to stand at the bottom of the 24th highest mountain in the world though!!!!

Had actually been intending on leaving mendoza on the sunday night and booked my bus ticket all nice and in time on the internet and felt v proud of myself. However, you have to remember this is the girl who didnt realise it was the day of her birth, so out of touch is she with dates. So there I was sunday morning writing a few emails when i realised that the ones come in were the 20th.....uh oh I thought, I am sure I booked my ticket for sunday teh 19th. Quick panic and check of ticket revealed that I did book my ticket for the 19th, but this unfortunately was the Saturday! He he. So managed to completely miss my bus out and there were no seats left on that night so had to wait for monday, and in retrospect I am glad I did!

So onto now. Finally made it to Bariloche and it is meant to be this town on the side of a beautiful lake with vistas across to the mountains etc etc. And I am sure it would be gorgeous if I could see further than my feet. Then of course there is teh freezing cold, the constant rain (now tuned to snow) and general all round miserable weather. Was planning on spending a few days in the area walking before heading to the glaciers (a 30hr bus ride or 2hr flight....not a difficult decision) for more walking before heading back north. But the weather forcast seems to be saying constant rain for both areas over the next 10 days so may give it all a miss and head back to walmer climes.....going to be spending long enough in the rain in the uk without doing it here as well! Am v tempted just to go back to Mendoza!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home