So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Dinosaurs

Have decided i have a frankly love hate relationship with Bolivia and whilst at the moment i am in love, it could all go horribly wrong very quickly, mostly due to appalling customer service and help most people who are employed here in the service industry display. but breathe caroline...ok, rant over.

So made the most of myluxury room last night watching non stop tv and revalling in being able to watch tv from bed and not have to talk to anyone. Then had lovely encounter with the man on reception desk. I decided that as I had to leave to early to have the "included" breakfast I would see if i could wangle a discount. But after about 5 mins of the guy being deliberately obtuse he announced, with a rather smug grin, that as breakfast was free, how could i possibly get a discount.....he would quite happily knock 0 off. Grrrr....by this point didnt have the energy to discuss the difference between included and free, and also that the food wasnt free to the hotel.....just stomped off. Then somehow the airline managed to double book my lovely window seat and so i was moved to the opposite side of the plane, over the wing, so I didnt get to see any of the beautiful mountains that i was really excited about, silently fuming as i watched at least 3 men doze against windows on the other side. And of course the lady moved me with the utmost inpoliteness possible.

But am now in Sucre which is a gorgeous little colonial town, all white walls, red roof tiles, clear blue skies and fancy churches, so I am happy again! Why is it that all colonial towns look the same, have the same vibe and are always surrounded by mountains??? Very strange. Also feels very rich here and has a completely different feel to La Paz....no street stalls, no women in indigenous costume, no craziness. Did have the worlds nicest taxi driver though who gave me a guided tour of Sucre before depositing me infront of my lovely hostal. Oh, and apparently Sucre is Bolivia´s de facto capital whilst La Paz is the constitutional one. Not sure what the difference is but various people have various opinions as to which one is the real one....answers on a postcard please.

And then, as if the joy of simply being here wasnt enough, got myself organised and went to see the dinosaur footprints this afternoon. And they are amazing. There are about 15 reall clear tracks and loads others, and because of 2 plates colliding, the bit with the footprints on sticks up so its really easy to see them. Just blew me away seeing them....and we even got to see baby footprints and prints of dinosaurs running and fighting. Really cant say how amazing i found it all.

Right, just a quick observation for today. Had noticed in La Paz that there were nowhere near the number of street kids / beggars compared to Quito which I found odd given how poor Boliva is, and even here in the apparent Gringo capital of Bolivia, there are only a couple of street kids...I wonder where they all are.

1 Comments:

Blogger C, T and Piglet said...

thats pretty impressive for a first lesson...I think it took me a year to get that far!

27/10/05 8:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home