So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Bashed and Bruised

Last night had a bit of a sulk and decided that I hated Cafayate (the place I had just riden 4hrs on a bus to get to), there was nothing to do, it was ugly and I hated travelling in general. So in my rather lacking-in-reason strop decided I would leave this morning after less than 20hrs! However, when i woke up this morning the sun was shining, and the thought of getting out of bed for an 8am bus was less than appealing, so ended up staying and am v glad I did as have had a lovely day, albeit one that has left me unable to walk.

So decided to go for a hike to a waterfall as it was a lovely day, first stopping off at a winery (the area is famous for its wine) for a quick tour and wine tasting (who says 10am is too early for wine!) Then set off on the walk. Now the nice man at the tourist info office had told me it was 6km before you reach the 2hr walk to the waterfall and that i should get a taxi. but me being me thought 6km, ha, nothing, And off i set. how foolish was I. &km is quite a lot, especially when the sun is hot and it is up a slight incline. Nice walk though through wine fields....had to be some redeeming features!

So finally arrived at the start of the waterfall walk, had my lunch (2 steak sarnies and my new favourite things.....alfajores....2 shortbread biccies sandwiched with dulce de leche and coated with chocolate...yummy). So, a little bit rested i was about to start off when up pulls a taxi and out fall 2 irish lads looking fresh as a daisy, and lucky they did too or i could still be wandering around the river bed now!!! To say the walk is a little unear is an understatement and more than once i wondered what i was doing as I hauled myself up rocks, forded the river and pushed my way through pampas grass (giving me cuts worse than paper cuts ...ouch) and all at the speed of light as the boys were only on day trip. Didnt dare leave them though as they were v big help getting me anywhere! Was a really fun walk though despite being a little scary, rather adventurous and leaving me seriously sore! Best bit though was that the boys had arranged a taxi for the return which was a god send. And you will probably realise by the fact that i have forgotten to mention the waterfall until now that it wasnt really up to iguazu falls!!!

Then, in this adventure packed day, we all hauled ass on a quick tour of the rocks around the area, after stopping for a wine ice-cream....mcuh raved about in guidebooks but not really v nice! Anyway, nice tour, good to hang out with the boys, but seriously over rocks now!!! You will be grateful i have spared you photos of such delights as the frog, the priest praying and the monkeys face

Am leaving cafayate tommorrow but not sure where to go next.....will keep you posted

Oh, and have discovered I know nothing about Argentina...our guide asked me which famous Argentinians I knew, and i could name 2 - yep - maradonna and evita!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have only spied the pictures... not read anything yet. The first pic that I came upon with your smiling face in - I got a little misty eyed.

I miss you badly darling woman!

Can't wait to read your exploits.

Much love to you,
Maybe I will see you at home... someday?
XOXO
Rebecca

5/12/05 5:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home