So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Glaciers and disasters

First, today have had two disasters:
1) Think I have lost my cd case with ALL my photos from this trip and some cool music discs. Am not a happy bunny. Am going to try my luck with the bus company but am not holding my breath....sob sob sob
2) My ipod has decided now, with a 2 day bus journey ahead of me, that it will wipe all my music from its hard drive.....not sure how i am going to cope......and wouldnt you know even if i was back in the uk, the guarentee would have run out about a week ago, murpheys law (avoiding swear words for your computer system mum!!)

Anyway, am trying not to become suicidal about the above two traumatic events and am only just staying sane because of the cool day (no pun intended) I have had today which, if you are clever, you will have realised was all about the glaciers. Luckily whoever is up there decided I had suffered enough so the sun was shining, the wind chill was slightly less than antarctic and the glacier wa absolutely stunning. Never thought I could spend a day watching ice just be big and there, but there you go, it appears I can! All those 20 hr bus journeys are paying off after all.

Not really sure why I found it so beautiful. I mean it is just a lump of ice, but it is so impressive to see it coming down the mountains and then there is this huge face 4km wide and on average 60m high (reaching 140m in parts) all a beautful mix of blue and white. But it is surprisingly noisy as well....there are nearly always creaks and groans, and then when even the smallest (although i was quite far away so maybe not that small) bit breaks of there is a huge crash. I was lucky and saw a huge bit fall off from near the top and that really was spectacular.

So all in all a good day (despite disasters). And on a completely different note, I have decided that given that there appears to be nothing for it but a 2 day bus ride back to Bariloche, that will be my last bus journey and I am flying everywhere else!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jezabeth said...

Condolences!

1/12/05 7:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home