So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Sunday, January 16, 2005

And still it rains

Well, its still raining a lot but somehow managing to have fun despite this. Seems to be a bit unusual as I saw a headline in the paper with a big picture of a flooded road under "look at the rain" or something like that. Think I made the right decision to leave Utila when I did though as I have just heard that there have been no boats or planes since Sat due to the bad weather! Its like being in the UK again.

Anyway, escaped scary La Ceiba and stayed in a jungle lodge instead in the pouring rain which was really quite cool then went white water rafting yesterday which was less cool as despite the river being huge, there wasn´t much white water. But the best bit was that I met some really lovely people who I ended up hanging out with for the rest of the day including a girl who is working with the Peace Corps teaching about AIDS etc in a beach town in N Honduras and another American girl who is teaching at a school in La Ceiba. So we took over her amazing house for the rest of the day and hung out with her gossiping and (me at least) learning more about Honduras. Apparently Dole have just done a big banana deal with Walmart which will increase Honduran banana sales from $3million to $7million. Not sure where the land is going to come from to grow these extra bananas tho and everyone suspects more jungle might be coming down. The US influence over here is just huge and in terms of the impact on the Honduran psyche and infrastructure is quite scary. Really quite a random day all in all and ended with me talking with a Danish guy in a Honduran house about Wind in the Willows!!! Also had the best burger I have had in ages at the "expatriates" bar across the road. Not going to lose weight at this rate!

So today have had mad bus ride across the country and we (have acquired travel partner - Rachel) are now in the cutest little mountain village called Santa Rosa. Somehow we managed to get ushered on buses all day making the journey v painless and thank god they were actually playing half decent (80s pop and backstreet boys now counts as decent!) music rather than the earsplitting salsa usually forced upon us which not even my beloved ipod can counter. Had my second taste of central american chicken buses as well - old US school buses that get piled full of Hondurans adn people can get on and off wherever they want. Takes forever to get anywhere (people selling tacos can usually walk faster alongside the bus) but its really fun, v cheap and i can practice my spanish by listening to the apparently obligatoy preacher. Learnt today that god loves me but not homosexuals. Also had a less pleasant experience when the traffic suddenly slowed and everyone started looking out the window so me thinking its a police road block takes a good look to be confronted by a dead man in the road with everyone just stood around looking, including the police. So strange.

So thats it for now, just a quick thank you for all the comments. Its lovely knowing you are all still out there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home