So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Saving small children

Today I started to save the world, one small child at a time! And what fun it was!!!! Its a kind of "here you are, get stuck in and have fun" kind of orientation so just kind of hung out all morning and played with small, grubby children with runny noses! Not sure how many are really street kids as the vast majority seem to have parents and homes and it seems to be used as an after school club. So I was helping with teaching maths to small children and then just generally playing.....seems i am quite a strict teacher but none of them went off crying so thought that was a good thing! There are also quite a number of older kids (15 - 25 ish) who come to learn english so am hoping i will graduate to doing that fairly soon.....although am not sure how to go about it, but they all seem to be at a level where its fairly easy! my spanish is just about holding up, but when you are playing jigsaws with 3 year olds, not much is needed!

Have also done the horrible thing of telling Jorge that I want to move out of his house! He was really nice about it though and now all i have to do is tell the women i am living with (eek). Feel much more relaxed about it all, and it means i can eat what i want to when i want to


OoOh speaking of which dont think I relaed the story of blood soup yet! how could i forget. So there i was sitting down to a nice soup for lunch which had a plate of accompaniments. One of the things looked like crispy refried beans so put a couple of spoons in and on I ate. Anyway, then Jorge comes and sits down so I ask him the name of the soup (hadnĀ“t caught it when the mother told me) and turns out it has a Quechua name for blood soup....nearly died! Turns out the crunchy things are fried cows blood......urggh. Then spent the rest of the meal trying to think of any horribly diseases passed on through cows blood....couldnt think of any so am happy, and if anyone out there does know some, dont tell me!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
Now that I finally have some more free time on my hands thought I ought to check this out. Glad that I did and to hear that you are having lots of adventures!

Helenx

14/7/05 1:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home