So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Friday, July 08, 2005

Salsa and early morning starts

Living with my host family continues to be an interesting experience, not least because I am being woken up at 5.30 each morning when the buses start and I am shaken awake! Was also fed this rather strange thing the other day which was some heavy savoury sponge thing with raisins (well, 2) which had been steamed in a banana leaf...yum!!! I managed to eat half before I couldn´t force anymore down and gave up.

Also went out dancing for the first time last night and had a really fun time. It seems that I did learn something in Cuba after all and managed to not embarrass myself totally on the dancefloor - hurrah! I think it helps that while the men can dance here, they are nowhere near as good as in Cuba so they dont expect as much from me. It was really funny though as a couple of them were like "ooh, you dance well" in a rather surprised, but you are a foreigner type way. Only bad bit was that whilst I told my family I would be in late and not to wait up, the mum was still watching tv, waiting for me.....and i didn´t get in until 2. Its worse than when i was 17!!!

Quito itself is really nice and has a surprisingly relaxed feel. There are 2 very distinct areas - the old town where i live and is very colonial and picturesque and where lots of locals live, and then the new town, part of which is "gringo land" with all the hostals and backpacker type resturants, internet cafes etc. And whilst the city as a whole isn´t that beautiful, I feel very at home here and when it is clear it is just stunning as the whole city is surrounded by snow-capped mountains and volcanoes. Off to visit a little town called Otovalo this weekend where there is a massive crafts market. I suspect it will be full of tourists taking pictures of indiginous people and cant see me buying much (not really into the whole artenesal look, although may be tempted by poncho with llamas!!!), but it is in a really spectacular location.....may even be talked into going horse riding again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home