So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Life in Quito

Well have now had first (and second) day at school and am really enjoying it. Have met some other girls my age (which is a relief as everyone on the first day seemed to be either 12 or 50!) and my teacher is just lovely and not at all appalled by my hideous spanish, so all is good in the world of spanish school. More importantly they organise loads of activities so am busy seeing quito by night (v beautiful - they have gone in for coloured lights and illumination of churches in a big way!) learning salsa and signing up for trips to mountains (no uphill walking required luckily as am struggling with just breathing at the moment due to the altitude!).

Not so hot on the volunteering front unfortunately. Spent forever on the bus to get to the shelter, to then wait for an hour before being told that they didnt need me! So have decided to overcome my phobia of kids and go and work for an organisation that helps street kids get an education and a job. Its a bit christian so am hoping they dont make me pray much, but apart from that it looks really interesting and its much closer to home so i get a lie in too - always a bonus. Bit of a surprise that this attracted me (as most of you know, am not really all that maternal) but already my heart is being broken by all the kids living on the street and i also figure my spanish is probably more at a 5yr old level right now so i can be more use with kids than with abused women! But lets watch this space and see I cope....

1 Comments:

Blogger C, T and Piglet said...

Dont be daft...you are doing loads of good with your PhD for a start! And glad you liked REM, as I said, I wasn´t that impressed!!!

7/7/05 7:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home