So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

La Lucha

Pretty much means the daily struggle or fight, and I feel it pretty accurately describes what I have been through to try to leave Baracoa! After spending the best part of my time here in the travel agents office, he finally arranged for me to get a minibus-bus combo which meant i could get to Havana by Thursday without spending the rest of my life on a bus. Anyway, turned up today to pick up my ticket (for some reason this couldnĀ“t be done the day before when he told me of his plans) I find out this has all been organised for tommorrow, when i need to leave today! So then had to spend a mad half hour trying to arrange the buses to get out of here. Which i managed relatively easily and wished i had done first off! At least i have had my first real experience of cuban uselessness! But I do now get to spend the best part of the next 24hours on a bus (oh joy). However, on the bright side, I then dont have to set foot on another bus and have a nice long weekend to enjoy Havana and its nightlife and beaches (need a final top up of tan!).

So, cant believe I leave next week....seems like no time at all since my early morning new years day flight into the unknown and whilst I am really excited to be coming home and seeing everyone, its also a little strange to think i wont have to speak spanish or move every 3 days or deal with any of the mad and funny things I have been dealing with for the last 4 months. I have been reflecting a bit and whilst I now have a killer tan and blonde (if rather straw like) hair and have learnt to live without cadburys chocolate and a hairdryer (handily improvising with fans when the desire for straight hair gets too much) not sure if i have yet found out what i should be doing with my life.....guess the only answer is to head off again after the wedding of the year!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jezabeth said...

Hi there! Just saying I'm still reading your blog daily despite not replying to it. Just to reassure you that it is now April over here too and it's fucking FREEZING!! Just been to the Clothes(Trafford) Centre and the upper car par is like a wind-tunnel-fridge if you could just imagine the horror!!! Probably can't since you've been near the equator all this time!!!

20/4/05 4:29 PM

 
Blogger Ghost of Goldwater said...

Thank you for providing me with months of entertainment and even the occasional insight ;o)
Please let us know when you're planning on making your next trip!

20/4/05 6:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home