So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Many hours on a bus

I am now well acquainted with the lovely Viazul buses (buses put on for tourists here) after a v long 7 hours to Santiago followed by 5 hours to Baracoa (where i am now). Stayed one day in Santiago as I felt I should see it, but wasn't all that impressed, it was so big, dirty and polluted (especially after lovely Camaguey) and the people weren't especially pleasant. Rescued from being a completely wasted day by a nice trip out to this fort where I also got a quick lesson in the Cuban method of unemployment reduction. I was the only visitor at the fort and yet the govt felt the need for their to be approx 15 v bored looking women standing around "working". Not sure if they were meant to be guards or guides as they were doing little of either but was fun to watch! Also met up with a couple i had met earlier in my trip so went to watch a cool band in the eve (composed entirely of men who looked like they were about to have heart attacks!) and rather randomly also met one of my cuban friends from Camaaguey, which was a lovely surprise.

Anyway, then another v early start (not helped by me oversleeping and having to be woken buy my casa owner when the taxi turned up!) for the rather overhyped (by lonely planet) journey to Baracoa. Am glad I have come to Baracoa as it has a really nice feel, very laid back and rural but am getting frustrated as i am trying to arrange my transport back to Havana and the tourist agency is way too laid back! So far I have wated yesterday afternoon waiting for them and then today have missed a trip as he was being useless! Ah well! Thats Cuba for you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home