So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Cuba Libre

Well, finally here fully financed and raring to go. And just so excited to be here that I keep breaking into a huge grin when i am walking around, much to the apparent amusement of the locals! Am staying in a casa particualar (a private home where rooms are rented to tourists) and really struck lucky. The couple I am staying with are so lovely and happy to chat with me, the woman is a great cook (had heard the food was terrible here but so far have eaten well) and have pretty much my own apartment with lounge and kitchen.

Have also been throwing myself into sightseeing and have spent hours wandering around old havana and the bit called central havana, thats still pretty old. The old bit which has been restored is really pretty and has some lovely, interesting squares, but I actually like the slightly more lived in bits with all the collapsing houses, shops selling about 3 things and people everywhere..... in doorways, fixing old american cars, playing baseball with drain pipes balls of paper. I know it is a huge cliche, but there is a real vibrancy in the air and I love it. Its wierd becuase i know its a communist country and there is a lot of state repression, but it feels way less restrictive than Vietnam, and all the people seem pretty happy, and most have been incredibly friendly with me (and no, i'm not just talking about the hoards of guys "hey lady where you from, you want a coffee with me"....er, no, thanks)

I was really lucky and met a German guy at the airport who has been to cuba 5 times so he showed me around a bit and in particular showed me where to get cuban pesos (25 to the tourist peso) and where to spend them. This is the currency most of the locals use and is used in cheap resturants and for snacks. So have been throwing myself into this in a bid to save money. For lunch today decided to brave a cajetin, which is someone selling boxes of lunch from their front room. So I came across a line (one of many, felt quite proud i figured out what this line was for....often i cant figure it out for the life of me....theres one near my house thats always miles long and only seems to be heading for a lottery stand or a lighter refill stand, neither of which i would have thought deserved such a long line. Might ask one of these days!) established that it was for food and joined the end. And for the bargin price of $1 got a huge box full of rice and salad, pork and chick peas which i ate in a park and felt very adventurous

God, loads more to say, but only have 3 mins left. And internet is v v expensive here so dont be expecting regular updates from here on in.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Caroline, I'm very excited about you being in Cuba. Have lots of fun.

31/3/05 6:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home