So after discovering I can live without hairdryers/cadburys/heat magazine and having developed a killer tan that doesn't seem to fade (whilst failing to find the meaning of life but deciding its unimportant and far more fun to comare rums of different countries) I have decided to spend some time wandering round south america. Will I ever come back to work....will I get fluent in Spanish....will i get new blogger friends....find out here!

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Easter in Panama

So, due to poor planning on my part and some idiocy by DHL Panama, I have ended up not flying to Panama City today but am patiently waiting in Boquete in the mountains until DHL opens on MOnday and I can collect my Cuban visa (helpfully stolen a while ago in Costa Rica!) There are worse places to be stranded though and its been quite fun chilling in the mountains for a few days. Unfortunately this means that I wont be able to see much of Panama City (well, none) but am definately coming back to Panama one day soon so figure i can see it then.

Consequently I have been experiencing Easter in small town Panama and its ok but nowhere near as much fun as everyone makes out, mostly as its illegal to sell alcohol from midnight wed to noon saturday (today!). Have been meaning to do lots of walks but we both just end up chilling out all day. Yesterday was Good Friday so we were promised a procession, and at 8.30 it showed up! Liz and I though are going straight to hell as we couldnt stop laughing! It was a bit pitiful with one thing with Jesus in a coffin, but his arm was less than steady and looked a bit creepy bumping around. There was also a huge green light in the shape of a cross which I kept thinking came from a pharmacy and another big virgin mary pulled by a tractor! And all to the accompanyment of an old lady singing through a loud speaker! And to crown the festivities, the passion of the christ was playing on an outside screen in the town square!

HOpefully tonight will be better. There is a big orchid fair on with apparently an xtreme (no first e thank you very much!) party night tonight....the mind boggles. But before then Liz is going on a horse ride and after my previous attempts I am giving it a miss and going for tea and lemon pie instead! far more me!

And finally, just to continue the saga of Thomas Cook incompetance. Despite asking 5 days for them to arrange to get some of MY money to me, I have still yet to receive it. A nasty phone call is now in order!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home